Opportunity for an enthusiastic .NET developer to join our dynamic, friendly, well-established internet company at our offices in Leith, Edinburgh. We are looking for an experienced developer to join our engineering team this Summer and hit the ground running. The role is full time at 35 hours per week.
Based in Leith, we currently employ a team of eight people providing government and businesses with online solutions with a particular focus on the agricultural, environmental and food sectors. You may not have heard of us, but if you’ve bought fresh meat, fruit or vegetables from a supermarket in the UK, their provenance will likely have been checked or tracked at some point using our systems. With our products, we’re now looking to join up the whole food chain in order to improve trust in the food you buy, with interest from multi-national companies whose brands you’ll instantly recognise.
We’ve been kept busy during lockdown helping our clients to stop the UK’s food supply chain from being disrupted and we now need to urgently expand our team.
We strive to offer a working environment that is rarely found in bigger businesses:
- We’re a friendly close-knit team with an absence of corporate jargon and office politics.
- We’re agile and innovative where larger organisations struggle to adapt.
- We believe that every team member should have input in to decisions that count.
- We think that a job should fit around life, with flexible start and end times and the ability to work remotely when needed
- As most of our employees stay with us for years, we think this approach works.
Initially your primary role will be to develop and support .NET web applications based upon specifications provided by other senior developers, using our in-house web framework running on top of ASP.Net and SQL Server.
Once settled in, as a senior developer, we would also expect you to manage the implementation of specific client projects. This would include the authoring of specifications in ticketed work to be assigned to other developers, review of completed development work and some mentoring of graduate developers.
On a rota basis, you will be required to assist the support team with the diagnosis and rectification of software faults, and work with our technical manager on the maintenance of our hosting environment.
We'll offer you the opportunity to work with a whole spectrum of clients, from small charities right up to government departments within a relaxed and innovative environment. You’ll have the opportunity to liaise directly with our clients, suppliers and partners on technical issues, and also contribute to our core development programme to expand and improve our products and services.
We also offer a clear career development pathway for all our employees with regular reviews and opportunities for promotion.
- Employment type: Full time (35 hours per week)
- Salary: £35-50K depending on experience and ability
- Location: Working from our office in Edinburgh (with temporary remote working)
Given this is a senior role, we’d expect that your experience from previous roles means you:
- Can lead small implementation projects, author specifications and work tickets and manage the work of others
- Spot opportunities to improve our technology, practices and processes
- Contribute to the friendly team dynamic in the office
- Can carry out basic Windows server maintenance tasks
You should be able to demonstrate the following technical abilities:
- An understanding of how to apply object-oriented principles to code and data
- Extensive experience with C#, VB.NET or other .NET languages
- Practical experience with creating ASP.NET web user controls and an understanding of the .Net framework in general
- Proficiency in HTML, CSS and responsive design techniques
- Knowledge of SQL, and MS SQL Server in particular would be an advantage
- Ability to produce documented, well-structured and maintainable code
- A willingness to learn, and the ability to grasp new concepts quickly
With our focus on data integration and bulk processing, we’re particularly interested if you have experience with:
- Designing and implementing RESTful web APIs
- Map/reduce techniques for data processing and analysis
As we are following Scottish Government guidelines, all our staff are currently working remotely. Our expectation is that, from the time of appointment, new recruits will be able to work partly from our office in Leith for a few days each week and the remainder from home.
Suitable distancing measures will be in place in our office, but you should bear in mind the need to travel to work and have a suitable Internet connection at home to enable remote working.
How to Apply
Please send your CV with a short covering letter to email@example.com naming the position you wish to apply for.